Monday, March 3, 2014

Series Review: Shatter Me Series by Taherah Mafi


It still is a little difficult for me to find words to describe this series and how beautiful it is. Let's start off with the writing style, which is a huge key point to the magnificence that is the Shatter Me series. The writing is poetic and is filled with breathtaking metaphors that makes you sit back for a second, just to process this one line that single-handedly blew your mind. This writing style is so important when in comes to understanding the characters and their psychology, the main case being Juliette, our main character. The most apparent expression of this is through the "crossed out" style, where a line will be written, crossed out, and then rewritten, showing how Juliette really feels. This is also a remarkable representation of Juliette's development, which leads me to my next topic. The character development in this series in extraordinary and inspiring. Juliette has had a horrible upbringing and had learned to shut so much of herself away, and her journey of learning to accept herself was so much more than I could have hoped for.

The relationships, for the most part, drive this series (which I am not complaining about). I adore the way that Mafi handled the comparison between infatuation and love, and representing the idea to do what is best for yourself, even if someone who you care about (or cared about) disagrees, which i think is so important for young women to understand. Juliette is strong all on her own, she doesn't need Adam or Warner to protect her, and I wish that I had read a series like this when I was younger and a bit more impressionable (rather than say, Twilight, which isn't exactly empowering to women). But I digress, my point is that I love the relationships, but I also love that Juliette is strong without having to be in one.

I do have one complaint though, I would have loved a bit more world building, and for the ending to have been a little longer. I want to see the entire Reestablishment be brought down, not just one sector. I am happy with the ending of the series, but I want more, so so much more (this might just be caused by the fact that I don't want to series to be over).

Definitely a new favorite series, and one of the best YA series I've read in a while. I whole-heartedly recommend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment