Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Genre Exploration: My Top 10 Fantasy Films

What? Something that isn't book related?! 

I know, I'm a little devastated myself. However, I have decided to start a sort of "Genre Exploration" series where I discuss my favorite films, books, and other fun stuff having to do with that genre. Today, we are starting with my all time favorite genre: Fantasy.

(Note: All of these are "live-action" (some puppets may be involved, but there are no animated films, those will be in a whole different list) 



10. Willow

This is a Fantasy film that I don't hear about very often, but it is definitely a must-see for any fan of Fantasy. Warwick Davis has been in many Fantasy films, but I believe this is his best. It's heartwarming and remarkable, and I think that it's one of the best under-known Fantasy films.
9. Labyrinth

Jim Henson films are amazing as is. Now add David Bowie, musical numbers, and an awesome universe that I think all of us Fantasy buffs would love to visit. When I first watched this film I felt very similar to Sarah's character (without the shininess and angst). She envelops herself in her own fantasy universe, just as I remember doing (even acting out scenes in my backyard). This film is wonderful and fun. I might even remind many of us how we were as young fantasy lovers.

8. The Neverending Story

I couldn't really have a Fantasy films list without this movie, it was so important to me as a child and truly shaped my love for fantasy. This film is heartbreaking at times, yet beautiful. I absolutely adore Falkor and the Night Hob (let's also not forget the adorable racing snail). This film has all the best parts of Fantasy, as well as a very good depiction of escapism in literature. One of my favorite films of all time. (The book is very good as well).

7. The Dark Crystal

Another fantastic Jim Henson film that has such cool creatures and an amazing world. It's a very cool hero story and the puppetry is quite remarkable (though of course, I couldn't expect any less from Jim Henson). This is just a truly beautiful film and I think everyone should watch it, even if you might think you don't like Fantasy.

6. The Princess Bride

I don't think I need to explain this one. Watch it, read the book, fall in love.

5. Merlin

This is the greatest film about Merlin, that's all I have to say.

4. The Lord of the Rings (yes, all three of them)

I may be disappointed with what Peter Jackson is doing with The Hobbit, but he did so many things right with The Lord of the Rings trilogy that I just can't hate him. I wonderful adaptation of my favorite book series of all time.

3. Practical Magic

A film about amazing, well portrayed women with magic, humor, and a few songs by Stevie Nicks?! Fucking sign me up, this film is perfection. A great film to watch around Halloween, or really any other time. It's a huge comfort movie of mine and no film will ever make me feel as magical as this one.

2. Stardust

This film completely changed my definition of the word "fantastic," and now it almost feels that nothing can compare. This is a beautiful film that portrays love, life, and adventure so well. The characters grow and change, and there are so many connections, as well as simplistic, yet thorough, world building. It is a mesmerizing film that has some funny moments, yet is also intense and heartwarming. (Side note: watching this film with my fiance is one of my happiest memories)

1. The 10th Kingdom

Technically this is a mini-series and not a movie, however I still consider it to be one, it just happens to be a 7 hour long film! The 10th Kingdom is so much a part of my being that it is not only my favorite fantasy film, but my favorite film of all time. I first watched it when I was around8 or 9, and I fell in love with everything; the characters, the setting, the music, the magic of it all. This film became a friend to me, whenever I needed comfort I would pop in the VHS tape and go on an adventure through the 9 kingdoms with Virginia, Tony, Wolf and Prince Wendell. Now, I might love this film so greatly because is is so embedded in my youth, but I think that anyone  who adores Fantasy and Fairy Tales would love it just as greatly as I do. Trust me, it's worth the 7 hours of your life.



No comments:

Post a Comment