Thursday, July 17, 2014

I'm a Bookaholic, and I'm Not Very Proud

Bookaholic. One who continuously buys books to add to a stack of unread books.

I've never really put too much thought into my unhealthy accumulation of books, I've always viewed it as my life's library, and eventually I will read all of the books I have acquired.

But today I was faced with a brutal wake up call as I was rearranging my bookshelves. It had been a while since I last counted how many books I own, so I figured at this point I owned about 400. I was so sadly mistaken.

I own 564 books

Now this would be an okay thing, if I'd read most of them, but I've barely read half. And I can't help but feel anything other than complete and total shame.
So I'm gonna do something about it (honestly, I really will this time). It really is time to enforce a Book Buying Ban (yes, it's intimidating and terrifying) and step up my reading game (easier said than done).

Now you may be saying, "Wait a second, Caitlin. Didn't you just write a blog post about the pressures of reading and how you should go about it at your own pace, etc ?"

Yes, I did, but this is a pressure coming from myself, not some outside source like Goodreads or the Booktube community. It's like I'm competing with myself, which is the only sort of competition I can handle/actually enjoy doing. Besides, this is an unhealthy activity that needs to be fixed, so a ban and pressuring myself more is the only way to break the cycle.

Now onto the ban and it's limitations;

1.) I cannot buy ANYTHING until I have read 6 more books (bringing my total for the year to 65)

2.) I cannot buy any more ebooks until I have actually read the ones on my kindle

3.) I am allowed to buy the sequel to a book I own once I have read the first book, but I can only buy the direct sequel and not any others in the series.

4.) I am allowed to buy literature that I know I will read immediately (such as the Fables graphic novels, nothing on this earth will keep me from that series)

This isn't part of the ban but I'm going to try to spend less time watching YouTube since it usually is what I do instead of read. I honestly can't think of any other ways that I can read more, I already read a lot as is, and I can't change the speed at which I read.

So hopefully this will work, and it should, I've written it all down and shared it with the internet.

Do you find you have this problem at all? Do you just not care and go about it anyway because buying books makes you feel better? Let me know! I'd be glad to talk with people who are in the same boat as me!

No comments:

Post a Comment