Thursday, January 2, 2014

Book Review: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

I really adored this book, and I, like so many other people, related to Cath on an incredible level. However, people related to her because of her dedication to Simon Snow and her fangirl-y qualities, whereas I related to her based on her mental issues. I myself suffer from crippling social anxiety, and it infuriates me that people have been saying that Cath just needed to "come out of her shell". THAT'S NOT HOW SOCIAL ANXIETY WORKS. Honestly, since I know exactly what Cath was feeling, I think she made tremendous strides in dealing with her anxiety, and opening herself up to new things, and I applaud her for that.

Okay, rant over, onto the review.

As far as characters I felt that they were all very well fleshed out, and they felt like real people to me. I loved the romance between Levi and Cath (although Levi did piss me off a little bit there, but such is life).

I felt that this was the perfect time for me to read this, since I too am a freshman in college, and this book held such an important message for me to learn; you don't have to change everything about yourself in order to grow up, you're awesome the way you are and people will see that and love you for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment