Monday, April 21, 2014

What I'm Currently Reading

I have never been a fan of making a "to be read" list for any given month, but I still like people to know what it is I'm reading, and what I may or may not decide to pick up next. 
So here I have gathered together the books that I am reading at the moment, as well as what i think of them so far, as well as a couple books that I have sitting on my bedside table that I would like to get to soon, however it is possible that I will change my mind and throw them back on the shelves. \
Who knows.

So here it goes; the list. 

Prophecy by Ellen Oh

I received this books in a giveaway from Epic Reads (they are a part of HarperTeen, in case you weren't aware) and considering I am a huge fan of Fantasy, I decided to pick this up right away.

It has been compared to Graceling by Kristin Cashore (and by compared I mean that people have been saying that the two are almost identical) which I recently read and disliked extraordinarily. However, I am really enjoying Prophecy, I am about half way through and already I feel that the plot and world building are much better than Graceling. The only comparison I can find is that the two main characters are a bit similar. They are both outcasts, killing for the kings, and have weirdly colored eyes. But the comparison stops there. Already in Prophecy I enjoy the character of Kira very much, and I do not find her at all obnoxious or bitchy. I look forward to seeing how the reast of the book turns out, and I think I will be picking up the next book in the series as well.

Sidenote: I think that it also works for Prophecy that it is the first book in a trilogy, it gives everything a little more time to develop and I enjoy it very much, it is very cool to see something so heavily based in Fantasy and Korean history.

This is why I think that maybe Graceling fell short for me, it may be the first in a series yet the other two books are companion novels, so Katsa's story is short and not very well developed, especially being a Fantasy novel.


Nocturnes by John Connolly

This is one I have been reading for a while (which is understandable, considering it is a collection of short stories).  I originally purchased it because I enjoyed his other work, The Book of Lost Things, and I was expecting something a little similar, if not a fairy-tale retelling, then at least something fantastical. But this book is scaring the crap out of me. Don't get me wrong, I love it so far, but I can only read a little at a time, and never before bed.
So needless to say, it's going to take me a little while to get through it.











Books I may or may not pick up soon...

The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett

I think it's about time that I start the Discworld series.















Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

I want to read this for three reasons~

1) I have heard many good things about it

2) It has been sitting on my shelf for some time

3) I only just found out that he is married to Tahereh Mafi so....I need to support this amazing couple. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment